The Sunday Alternative is a free podcast made for the love of discovering and sharing new music. I do it for free and am happy to do so. However, if you have enjoyed it then please do consider making a donation using this PayPal button. This will enable me to continue with this podcast and also to make other free entertainment, both in the fields of music and comedy, which I will make freely available online.

There is of course no obligation, but many thanks in advance if you do.

If everyone who hit this podcast paid one pound a month it would make a massive difference.

Monday 17 June 2013

Modern Dad Rock #MDR

No live band this weekend, just the two of us playing great music and talking bollocks. We started with ‘Father and Son’ by Cat Stevens, as a lot of people had posted it online in honour of Father’s Day. I followed it with ‘Paranoid’ by Black Sabbath as it is a favourite of my dad’s, and one of the first heavy metal songs that I heard thanks to him, (I still remember that ‘Snowblind’ was the B-side of the single).

A few days ago I saw a television advert for an indie dance classics compilation CD that had obviously been marketed towards Father’s Day and it made me feel old. Surely the whole ‘dad rock’ genre (if indeed it is a genre of its own) is for old dads? Am I now old enough to have ‘dad rock’ pointed in my direction? Some of you may remember a feature of The Sunday Alternative called Dad Rock Classic, in which we strayed from our usual musical outpourings and played something that wouldn’t be out of place on a Top Gear tie-in CD. The on-air discussion about this led us to invent a new marketable genre, Modern Dad Rock™©.

Modern Dad Rock™© is aimed at people who are dads, but not ‘dad rock’ dads, if you know what I mean. Towards the end of the first hour, and for the whole of the second hour, we did away with our planned music and wallowed in the nostalgia of Modern Dad Rock™©

7pm-8pm

Cat Stevens ‘Father And Son’
Black Sabbath ‘Paranoid’
The Offenders ‘Teenage Kicks’
The Lollipop Shoppe ‘You Must Be A Witch’
The Sex Presleys ‘Heartbreak Hotel’
                               ‘I Can’t Help Falling In Love’
The Paragons ‘Left With A Broken Heart’
The Pastels ‘Thankyou For Being You’
Mercury Rev ‘Goddess On A Highway’
Utah Saints ‘Believe In Me’
Pearl Jam ‘Even Flow’
Sultans Of Ping FC ‘Where’s Me Jumper’

8pm-9pm

New Order ‘Temptation’
Carter USM ‘The Only Living Boy In New Cross’
Jesus Jones ‘Info Freako’
Transvision Vamp ‘Baby I Don’t Care’
Shakespeare’s Sister ‘You’re History’
Guns and Roses ‘Jumping Jack Flash’
Faith No More ‘Epic’
The Cult ‘She Sells Sanctuary’
EMF with Reeves and Mortimer ‘I’m A Believer’