The Sunday Alternative is a free podcast made for the love of discovering and sharing new music. I do it for free and am happy to do so. However, if you have enjoyed it then please do consider making a donation using this PayPal button. This will enable me to continue with this podcast and also to make other free entertainment, both in the fields of music and comedy, which I will make freely available online.

There is of course no obligation, but many thanks in advance if you do.

If everyone who hit this podcast paid one pound a month it would make a massive difference.

Sunday 29 July 2012

The Return Of Penny

I've been thinking about the structure of the show, and while we were pre-recording the third hour we came up with doing Steve's Big Bag Full Of Bowie to close the third hour. The only way I fucked up a little, is that Penny sent me some song choices a couple of days ago and it was too late as I was going to a gig and missed the deadline. I assumed she would be using last week's choices, so it was resolved. It was hardly a crisis that threatened to bring down radio, but I fucked something up and I don't like that.

9pm-10pm
Brian Fahey Orchestra 'At The Sign Of The Swinging Cymbal'
Harry Champion 'Boiled Beef And Carrots'
Bow Wow Wow 'Go Wild In The Country'
Spunge 'Kicking Pigeons'
Wire 'I Am The Fly'
Bush 'Swim' (we had just seen on Twitter that Rebecca Adlington had won a medal and panic-selected the first song we came across by typing 'swimming' into the computer's search system. We couldn't have picked a more inappropriate song if we'd tried).
Deer Tick 'Into The Storm'
The Flaming Lips 'Race For The Prize'
Jack White 'Blunderbuss'
Choking Susan 'Someone Else's Face'
Choking Susan 'Liar Liar'
The Radiacs 'She's My Witch'
UK Subs 'Down On The Farm'
Twisted Sister 'We're Not Gonna Take It' (DAD ROCK CLASSIC)

10pm-11pm
OK Go 'Theme From The Muppet Show'
The Who 'Won't Get Fooled Again'
The 101ers 'Keys To Your Heart'
I Hate My Ex 'Baby Baby baby'
Inspiral Carpets 'Paranoid'
The Decemberists 'This Is Why We Fight'
The Boy Most Likely To 'Be Gentle With Me'
Dave Gahn 'New Rose'
The Jam 'Give Me Just A Little More Time'

NOTTINGHAM THREE:
Georgie Rose 'For Him'
Long Dead Signal 'Black Waltz'
Rob Green and Nina Smith 'Bad News'

11pm-12am

PENNY'S BLUEGRASS JAMBOREE:
Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs 'The Ballad Of Jed Clampett'
Carolina Chocolate Drops 'Trouble In Your Mind'
Hank Thompson 'The Wild Side Of Life'

Kitty Wells 'It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels' (played once again to show how it was written as a response to the Hank Thompson song)
Rebekah Delgado 'Little Boy Blue'
Spaceships Are Cool 'Gingerbread House'
Eddie And The Hot Rods 'Do Anything You Wanna Do'
Metallica 'Disposable Heroes'
The Soho Dolls 'Stripper'

STEVE'S BIG BAG FULL OF BOWIE:
I'm Afraid Of Americans
Let's Spend The Night Together
Rebel Rebel