The Sunday Alternative is a free podcast made for the love of discovering and sharing new music. I do it for free and am happy to do so. However, if you have enjoyed it then please do consider making a donation using this PayPal button. This will enable me to continue with this podcast and also to make other free entertainment, both in the fields of music and comedy, which I will make freely available online.

There is of course no obligation, but many thanks in advance if you do.

If everyone who hit this podcast paid one pound a month it would make a massive difference.

Monday 5 March 2012

One Percent More Pork Than Last Week

Despite what this picture may tell you, Erik does know how to wear a pair of headphones. This week's competition question, what time of night did we pose for this picture? No prize!

If a flimsy idea for a feature is worth doing once, it is worth doing until the premise wears thin. Once the premise is thin enough, we can stretch it further until it fizzles out altogether. Unfortunately, I just don't know when to stop. It was week two of our attempted feature on pork pie testing, this week they came from Tesco. I have to say that they were slightly better than Asda's last week, although they still weren't exactly butcher quality. Also, these Tesco pies had 31% pork, compared to Asda's 30%. My ideal find would be a pork pie containing 32% pork for next week.

I was worried that we had a lot to live up to this week, as last week we produced two solid hours of radio gold. Surely we couldn't do that again? Luckily, we could, the show just gets better and better and tonight was another gold-dust sprinkled piece of radio history. BBC 6Music still haven't been in touch, which I'm starting to realise is their loss, if they are too blind/stupid/arrogant to offer us the Saturday 10am-1pm slot.

Throughout the show we once again promoted Whoopie John, who I am going to try and make famous despite being dead. Terry Wogan managed it with Eva Cassidy. Other subjects included writing for The Nottingham Evening Post, (as I still call it), a pretentious new pub that opened in Hockley, my appearance on the BBC, our pitch to BBC4, monorails, and my idea for an interactive radio game. In keeping with my habit of not returning to subjects, we completely forgot to pay tribute to Davy Jones of The Monkees. We also became the first alternative/indie/punk radio show to have a long discussion about Rick Astley, mainly so I could tell the joke I have been working on.

Unbelievably, we had time for some songs too.

Nellie Wallace 'I Don't Like My Mother's Pie Crust'
L7 'Pretend We're Dead'
Whoopie John 'The Laughing Song'
The Freshies 'I'm In Love With The Girl On The Manchester Virgin Megastore Checkout Desk'
John Otway 'Too Much Air Not Enough Oxygen'
Kirsty MacColl and Billy Bragg 'A New England'
Rick Astley vs Nirvana 'Never Gonna Give Your Teen Spirit Up'
The Paragons 'The Tide Is High'
The Nerves 'Hanging On The Telephone'
Randy And The Rainbows 'Denise'
Mitch Benn 'I Never Went Through A Smiths Phase'
Bernard Sumner 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' (acoustic)
Bjork 'All Is Full Of Love'
Damn Vandals 'Beautiful Mind'
'Union Jack Boxes'
The Simpsons 'Monorail Song'
Mudhoney 'Touch Me I'm Sick'
Pop Will Eat Itself 'Ich Bin Ein Auslander'
Dildo Brothers 'Sweet Dreams'
Lynrd Skynrd 'Sweet Home Alabama'